Saturday, November 20, 2004

Abortion Clause Snuck Into Spending Bill

Why am I not surprised? From the NY Times, of course:

House and Senate negotiators have tucked a potentially far-reaching anti-abortion provision into a $388 billion must-pass spending bill, complicating plans for Congress to wrap up its business and adjourn for the year.

The abortion language would bar federal, state and local agencies from withholding taxpayer money from health care providers that refuse to provide or pay for abortions or refuse to offer abortion counseling or referrals. Current federal law, aimed at protecting Roman Catholic doctors, provides such "conscience protection'' to doctors who do not want to undergo abortion training. The new language would expand that protection to all health care providers, including hospitals, doctors, clinics and insurers.

"It's something we've had a longstanding interest in," said Douglas Johnson, a spokesman for the National Right to Life Committee. He added, "This is in response to an orchestrated campaign by pro-abortion groups across the country to use government agencies to coerce health care providers to participate in abortions."

The provision could affect millions of American women, according to Senator Barbara Boxer, Democrat of California, who warned Friday that she would use procedural tactics to slow Senate business to a crawl if the language was not altered.

"I am willing to stand on my feet and slow this thing down," Ms. Boxer said. "Everyone wants to go home, I know that, and I know I will not win a popularity contest in the Senate. But they should not be doing this. On a huge spending bill they're writing law, and they're taking away rights from women."


I had an argument with a friend today about the possibility of Roe v. Wade being overturned. I said that it never would be and she told me I was very wrong. She said that while the Supreme Court may never officially overturn the decision, they could limit it and restrict it until its not worth the ink it's written with (is that real phrase?). She then rattled off like eight different things to prove me wrong. I guess that's what I get for arguing abortion with someone who dedicates a large chunk of their life to reproductive rights.

And now there's this. While this isn't the worst thing in the world, I'm afraid it's only a small sign of things to come.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm reading. this is the update:

NYTIMES: "Ms. Boxer and other Democrats agreed to drop their procedural objections in exchange for a guarantee from the Senate majority leader, Bill Frist, that he would schedule a separate vote on the abortion language in the Senate next spring."

-hannah

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home